February 24, 2024
The Justice Department reportedly sent the National Archives and Records Administration another subpoena this month seeking documents for its sprawling inquiry of the Jan. 6 and the Capitol riot.

The Justice Department reportedly sent the National Archives and Records Administration another subpoena this month seeking documents for its sprawling inquiry of the Jan. 6 and the Capitol riot.

At least two subpoenas have been issued by the DOJ, including one on Aug. 17 and another earlier in the year, demanding the same assortment of documents the National Archives gave to the Jan. 6 committee, sources told CNN. The latest subpoena, which was approved by a grand jury, reportedly includes demands for documents from before and after the Capitol riot by the end of August.

The report said the office of Thomas Windom, an assistant U.S. attorney leading the criminal investigation, declined to comment.

TRUMP HAD ‘HIGHLY CLASSIFIED’ DOCS SENT TO MAR-A-LAGO DESPITE BEING TOLD TO TURN THEM OVER: REPORT

Investigators at the DOJ have reportedly been conducting a wide-ranging inquiry about efforts the challenge the 2020 election and organize the Jan. 6 riot. Former President Donald Trump has been a subject of interest during lines of questioning by prosecutors to grand jury witnesses and his legal team has taken steps to prepare for possible charges, according to multiple reports.

The DOJ inquiry appears to have placed a focus on the Trump White House. A number of key former officials including White House lawyers Eric Herschmann, Pat Cipollone, and Patrick Philbin have reportedly been subpoenaed. Last month, Marc Short, the former chief of staff to then-Vice President Mike Pence, gave grand jury testimony.

The DOJ has also issued a number of subpoenas to individuals who participated in the alternate electors scheme and prosecuted over 850 individuals for crimes related to the Capitol riot.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

In tandem with the Jan. 6 inquiry, the DOJ has also been reviewing former President Donald Trump’s handling of classified material following his departure from the White House. This led to a search and seizure at his lavish Mar-a-Lago resort earlier this month in which over a dozen boxes of material were retrieved.

That inquiry into Trump’s handling of presidential documents was sparked after the National Archives obtained 15 boxes worth of documents from Mar-a-Lago earlier in the year and discovered classified material in the trove of material. Trump claims he has not committed any wrongdoing.

Leave a Reply